Nothing like the taste of a freshly made german chocolate cake with REAL icing! Well, that is unless it is a german chocolate cheesecake, then that one takes the cake!
German Chocolate Cheesecake
Do I have your mouth watering just thinking about that rich and creamy chocolate and the buttery, nutty coconut topping?? Well, you are in luck! I am going to share my homemade recipe for german chocolate cheesecake with you!
While this is pretty much a basic chocolate cheesecake recipe finished off with homemade german frosting, if you are in a pinch for time, you can use the canned frosting. I do have to warn you that it will work, but it is not as nearly as good as making the real thing.
Not only is this just a chocolate cheesecake, but it also has a chocolate crust as well. You can make with all real sugar, if you are looking to cut the sugar content, you can replace with Splenda and it works just as well.
How To Make This Cheesecake:
Start by preheating the oven to 325 degrees.
In a food processor, crush the chocolate cookies. Then add the melted butter and mix until blended. In a greased 7″x3″ cheesecake pan, press the crumb mixture onto the bottom of the pan and place in the freezer.
Next, in a double boiler on the stove, add one cup water to the bottom pan and bring to boil and turn off. Then add the chocolate chips and melt. Then set aside.
Now in the food processor beat cream cheese until it is smooth. Next add the sweetener, cocoa powder, vanilla, and eggs and mix again. Be sure to scrape the sides so that it all gets mixed in.
After that is mixed, slowly add small amounts of the melted chocolate mixture in at a time and stir it in.
Now dump the chocolate cheesecake mixture over the chocolate crust. Wrap bottom of the cheesecake pan in foil or you can set it in a cheesecake water bath pan. Then place it inside of another pan and fill water so that it is about 1/4 inch below the foil line or pan line that the cheesecake is sitting in. This is so we can do water bath baking.
Place the whole thing in the preheated oven and bake for an hour and ten minutes. Then turn the oven off and leave the door closed. Allow resting in the oven for another 20 minutes.
Then remove from oven and allow to cool on the counter before place in the fridge.
How To Make The Frosting:
Over medium heat on the stove, mix the egg, milk, and sweetener. Stir constantly, until the mixture thickens. It takes about 10 to 12 minutes.
Then remove from heat. Then add in the vanilla and mix it in. Next, add in the coconut and the nuts. Mix until fully blended.
When you are ready, frost the top of the cooled cheesecake and store in the fridge.
If you have any leftover frosting, be sure to store it in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Here are a few other oven-baked cheesecakes you may enjoy.
- Peanut Butter And Jelly Cheesecake Recipe
- Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Recipe – In The Oven
- Triple Chocolate Cheesecake Recipe
German Chocolate Cheesecake
- 1/2 Stick Butter melted
- 45 Chocolate Animal Cookies or another type of dry chocolate cookie
- 3 oz Heavy Whipping Cream
- 2 Eggs
- 6 oz Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 16 oz Cream Cheese room temp
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla
- 1 Cup Splenda or Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 12 oz Evaporated Milk
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 Cup Splenda or Sugar
- 1 Cup Chopped Walnuts
- 1 1/2 Cups Shredded Coconut
- Preheat the oven to 325
- In double boiler, add about a cup of water to the bottom pot, bring to a boil then turn off. mixture.
- Place the top pot over it and add your cream and chocolate chips to the top pot. Mix until fully melted and set aside.
- In a food processor chop the chocolate cookies into a fine crumb. Then mix in melted butter until mixed.
- Grease your cheesecake pan well then pack the cookie crumb mixture on the bottom of the pan. Set in freezer.
- In the food processor or mixer, beat the cream cheese until it is smooth.
- Add in the sweetener, cocoa powder, vanilla, and eggs and mix again. Scrape down the sides to make sure it all gets mixed in.
- Stir in the chocolate into the cheesecake mixture a few spoonfuls at a time until it is all mixed in.
- Pour cheesecake mixture over crust.
- Wrap pan in foil and place inside another baking dish. Fill the other dish with water till it is about 1/4 inch below the top of the foil
- Place in center of the preheated oven. Bake 1 hour and 10 minutes. Then turn off the oven, leave the door closed and allow to sit in the oven for another 20 minutes.
- Then remove from oven and place on the counter to cool for one hour.
- Over medium heat on the stove, mix egg, milk, sugar. Stir constantly, until the mixture thickens. It takes about 10 to 12 minutes. Then remove from heat.
- Stir in vanilla and then coconut and nuts. Mix until fully blended.
- Frost the top of the cooled cheesecake when ready.